Over on my “short post” blog today I linked a story about the gift President Obama gave to British Prime Minister Gordon Brown–25 of the awesomest DVDs this country has to offer. I mean, how cool is that? I wanted that for Christmas, but I don’t have any friends or relatives that can pull those kinds of strings.
It would have been cool if Mr. Obama could have swung a Wii Fit, but those are tough to find.
Ok, seriously? DVDs? I think, as a general rule, you should stray away from giving heads of state gifts that you can get on Amazon or in the White House Gift Shop, although the James Bond Blu-ray set or a Kindle 2 would be cool. But I’ve received better gifts than DVDs in the past year, and I couldn’t get elected to the board of my HOA.
So, of course, I have some ideas for future gifts that are better than DVDs if the President ever decides to actually give something thoughtful or significant. These are all things I think the President could actually pull off:
- An external hard drive with all the music he downloaded back in the Napster days
- Offer to help him move, and actually follow through
- Tickets to an Oprah taping (transportation to Chicago not included)–bonus if you can swing a lifetime membership to the Oprah Book Club
- Let him “ride bitch” on one of the motorcycles in the Presidential motorcade
- Offer to let him crash on the couch for the weekend
- Autographed photo of the cast of Facts of Life
- A couple of four day passes to Disney
- Cubs tickets
- Hook it up for him to ring the opening bell at the NYSE (on a non-trading day)
- Teach him how to work the teleprompter
4 Replies to “Gift Ideas for Heads of State”
That’s a pretty poor list, PM Brown got the shaft. No Shawshank Redemption, Usual Suspects, Goodfellas, or Blood Diamond? World leaders need a good laugh, how about some classics like Caddyshack or Blues Brothers? My Roku Digital Media Player arrives tomorrow. Obama could have at least sprung for that and a Netflix subscription.
@tlittle That’s the best you can do with comedies? Haven’t you ever seen Slapshot?
I own it. You makin’ fun of my taste in comedies? I’m put on the foil, come get some bitch. The first rule of fight club is…
This is turning into Eddie Shore Old Time Blogging Comments….
Comments are closed.